Setting up Mail Services
Thunderbird InstructionsIf you have a previous install of thunderbird and just need to change the settings, then jump to step number 4 below.
If you have just installed Thunderbird, the new account dialog box may pop up automatically. If it does not, then click on "Create a new account".
1. Once the Welcome to Thunderbird popup box appears, click "Skip this and use my existing mail".
2. In the Mail Account Setup popup box, enter your full name, full email address "@math.fsu.edu" and your password. Click Continue to proceed.
3. After you enter the above information and click Continue, Thunderbird will attemp to automatically get the correct settings from our mail server. It will usually fail.
In the Incoming and Outgoing sections, enter the information exactly as shown in the boxes below. Enter your own username in the Username field.
Once you enter the correct information, the Done box will become clickable. Click it to finalize the settings.
At this point, Thunderbird should be working with your math account for both sending and receiving mail. If not, you can check the settings again using steps 4-6 below.
4. Click on Tools > Account Settings ( or Edit > Account Settings in Linux ) from the Thunderbird menubar to bring up the Account Settings dialog box.
Click on the submenu item Server Settings and enter mail.math.fsu.edu for the Server Name and 995 for the Port.
For Connection Security select SSL/TLS. For Authentication Method select Normal Password.
5. Click on Outgoing Server (SMTP). Select your account and then press Edit....
6. Enter mail.math.fsu.edu for the Server Name if it's not already there. Enter 587 for the Port.
For Connection Security select STARTTLS. For Authentication Method select Normal Password. For User Name enter your username if it is not already there.