Florida State University Seal

Undergraduate Advising Help

Undergraduate Mathematics Home


For all FSU Undergraduates:

  1. There are no appointments available. Can I email the advisor for an appointment or request an appointment time other than what is currently listed?

    No -- please do not email the advisor for an appointment. Walk-in times are your next option or you may need to try making an appointment again later. Appointments can only be made for up to two weeks in advance and are first come first served. When scheduling an appointment, please include the reason for your visit in the comments section. Occasionally, your question can be resolved before your appointment and allow that time slot to open for another student. If you are not a Mathematics/Actuarial Science major or you are having difficulty making an appointment with the upper division advisor, please select "Advising" from the menu then "Learn about another Major/Minor" followed by "Math (all majors) info".

  2. When can I enroll for classes?

    Go to myFSU to find your enrollment dates. Go to Student Center, click on the "My Classes" tile and then click on "Enrollment Dates" in the drop down menu. This will tell you when you will able to register based on your completed hours only; the courses you are taking in the current term are not included in those totals.

  3. Is there online assistance with swapping, dropping, or adding a course to my future schedule?

    Yes. FSU's Schedule Assistant FAQs and videos can be found here: undergrad/fsu.edu/academic-information/schedule-assistant.

  4. If I need math advising during registration, how should I prepare for my appointment?

    If you plan to come into advising during course registration, please prepare for your advising appointment either by registering for the upcoming semester(s) or, if you have registration holds, by having a schedule in your shopping cart. Try out FSU's Schedule Planner undergrad/fsu.edu/academic-information/schedule-planner/degree-progress to assist you in planning the coursework for your degree requirements.

  5. I want to take a math class, but the instructor is just listed as "staff". Should I contact the math advisor to find out who that instructor will be?

    No -- the advisor won't know either. "Staff" is usually a designation for multi-section courses like calculus or pre-calculus when the instructor is not assigned until after the registration window closes. In those cases you'll have to make registration decisions without that information, and just be prepared to meet your instructor on the first day of class.

  6. How do I drop a course before the 7 week deadline so that a grade does not appear on my transcript?

    Quick steps: Go to Student Central via myFSU > My Classes > Enrollment: Drop Classes > Select the term > Click on the phrase "Click here to Drop a class for a closed enrollment term" located near the bottom left of the course list. Now just read and continue through the remaining prompts. (Also, you can watch this video for instructions on dropping a course during and after the drop/add period. The process is different if the enrollment term has closed so please watch the entire video.) Also, see the bulletin section Drop/Add or Changes of Schedule for more policy details.

  7. How do I drop a course between the 8th and 12th week deadline in order to have a W instead of a D/F on my transcript?

    The process is similar to the directions for dropping a course before the 7 week deadline. Additionally, a PDF form will be automatically generated that must be printed and taken either to the Office of Undergraduate Studies if you are a "Pre-" major or to the College of Arts and Sciences office if you are already admitted into your major. Also, see the bulletin section Drop/Add or Changes of Schedule for more policy details.

  8. How do I earn a minor in Mathematics?

    You will need 12 hours at Calculus or above, as described at this link in the Academic Program Guide. Keep in mind that your College may have additional requirements. For the College of Arts and Sciences, these are described in their Policies and Procedures webpage.