Austin Anderson | Doctoral Candidate
I am a PhD candidate in the Department of Mathematics at Florida State University working under Dr. Alexander Reznikov. My research interests broadly include Harmonic Analysis, Potential Theory, Geometric Measure Theory, Ergodic Theory, and Fractal Geometry. I am chiefly interested in expanding the understanding of Riesz energy and best packing on unusual spaces with a fractal structure to include more information about the Minkowski content of the underlying set.
- MAC1140: Precalculus Algebra, Instructor of Record, Fall 2019 and Spring 2020.
- MAC2312 Calculus with Analytic Geometry II, Instructor of Record, Summer 2020, Fall 2020, and Spring 2022.
- MAC2311 Calculus with Analytic Geometry I, Instructor of Record, Spring 2021.
- MAC2313 Calculus with Analytic Geometry III, Instructor of Record, Summer 2021.
- MAP2302 Ordinary Differential Equations, Instructor of Record, Summer 2021.
- MAS3105 Applied Linear Algebra, Instructor of Record, Summer 2022. Those currently enrolled in my spring course may access the Canvas page.
Honors and Awards
- Recipient of the Tam Family Award for Excellence in Graduate Student Teaching 2022
- Recipient of the Bettye Anne Busbee Case Graduate Fellowship and Doctoral Mentor Recognition 2021 (jointly with my advisor Dr. Alexander Reznikov)
- Recipient of the FSU Distinguished Teaching Assistant Award 2021
- Recipient of the FSU Graduate Student Legacy Fellowship 2017
- Received "Tutor of the Year" award from the University of Central Florida Mathematics Lab 2017.
Publications and Pre-Prints
- A. Anderson and Alexander Reznikov. (2020) Minimal Riesz energy on balanced fractal sets . arXiv:2009.11441 math.CA. Access page here.
- A. Anderson, A. Reznikov, O. Vlasiuk, and E. White. (2021) Polarization and covering on sets of low smoothness . arXiv:2106.11956 math.CA. Access page here.
- A. Anderson, M. Dostert, P. Grabner, R. Matzke, and T. Stepaniuk. (2022) Reisz and Green Energy on Projective Spaces . arXiv:2204.04015 math.CA. Access page here.
Presentations and Workshops
- American Mathematical Society Special Session on Harmonic Analysis and Spectral Theory 2021, Asymptotics of Best Packing and Best Covering on Self Similar Sets. November 20, 2021. Abstract
- Point Distributions Webinar (2021), Asymptotics of Best Packing and Best Covering. June 2, 2021. General Webpage & Slides & Youtube Video
- American Institute of Mathematics Workshop on Minimal Energy Problems with Riesz Potentials, May 2021. Webpage
- The Southeastern Analysis Meeting 2021 (SEAM 2021), Minimal riesz Energy on balanced fractal sets. March 14, 2021. Abstract
- The Second Mid-Atlantic Analysis Meeting 2020 (MAAM 2020), Riesz Energy and Best Packing on Self Similar Sets. September 11, 2020.Abstract & Slides
- FSU PhD Candidacy Exam, Optimal Discrete Measures for Riesz Potentials and Relation to Best Covering. March 2020.
In my spare time, I enjoy reading (mainly fiction), listening to podcasts, playing card or board games, practicing acoustic guitar, walking, biking and tennis.